15th Century... The Rebirth!: Clothing

I liked it, I swear!
By HENIN!
What's that big cone on my head? I thought you'd never ask! It's called a henin and you may know it's also known as a princess hat. The henin was worn by women all over Europe and, as you may have guessed, the higher the henin... well you know.

The henin was often accompanied by a veil called a cointoise and could reach the shoulders or fall all the way down to the hem of the woman's dress. The henin showed off the big foreheads that women wanted in the 15th century.

Now you may be asking, "Sabrina, what the devil am I supposed to wear with my big forehead and my super tall henin?" Don't worry! You already have your chemise and your kirtle. Gowns, instead of fitted closely to the torso, were now belted high on the waist to create a fuller skirt starting at the torso. Necklines also shifted to a V-shape in some places in Europe. Start slashing your sleeves and puffing up your chemises at the shoulder and elbow, ladies. This trend will be around for a while.









One more thing, time travelers: WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY COD PIECES!


No comments:

Post a Comment