Scarabian Nights: My Journey to Ancient Egypt: Clothing and Accessories

     So, my biggest complaint about Ancient Egypt was how damn HOT it was. Hello, I've never been to the desert before and it was just miserable... until I started dressing like them. Their clothes HAD to be lightweight and barely-there because they probably would have, like, died from the heat. Then again, they probably did, anyway.
     Most clothing was made from linen, but you would NOT catch an Egyptian wearing WOOL, NO WAY. The Egyptians believed that wool was dirty, and of course it was just WAY too hot to wear but mostly WOOL=YUCK. White was all the rage with the upper class and a lot of the richer people were wearing animal skins and furs.
     Okay, so let me tell you about the garments that they wore.

HUBBA HUBBA


LOINCLOTHS were totally a real thing. It's kinda like a drape-y diaper but kinda sexy, not gonna lie. Men wore these and of course they were probs made out of linen.












TUNICS were like a little dress or shirt thingy. It could be short or long and was semi-fitted to the body. Everyone wore these, you guys! SO simple and pretty chic when you add a cute belt and some flashy beaded jewelry,

Egyptians also wore skirts. I know, I didn't expect that either. Women wore them high on the waist (SO in) and left the breasts exposed with a little cape. I was not brave enough to do that but hey girl, more power to ya, right?

A calysiris was a tunic that women wore over their skirts and it was SO cute.

So, I wish I could've taken pictures of the things that these cool Egyptians were wearing but like, ya know there weren't iPhones and digital cameras back then and I didn't want to freak anyone out any more than I already had. Sooo here's the best I could do with examples of Egyptian clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment